Wednesday 30 September 2009

Idiom Research

For a brief I'm looking at phrases we have in english, the equivalent in a foreign language and the re-translation. Here is a collection of some I could use:

English: To make a big fuss about nothing
German: Viel Aufhebens machen um etwas
Re-translation: To make a lot of lifting about nothing

English: To skip work
German: Blau machen
Re-translation: To make it blue

English: You can do it however you want!
German: Das kannst du halten wie ein Dachdecker!
Re-translation: You can keep it as a roofer!

English: Its all Greek to me
German: Das sind ja Böhmische Dörfer
Re-translation: Its all the villages of Bohemia to me

English: I've had enough
German: Das geht mir an die Nieren
Re-translation: It comes to my kidney

English: You're getting on my nerves
German: Du bringst mich auf die Palme, Du gehst mir auf den Senkel, Du gehst mir auf den Wecker, Du gehst mir auf den Keks
Re-translation: You make me go on top of the palm tree, You're getting on my shoelace, You're getting on my alarm clock, You're getting on my cookie

English: When pigs fly
French: Quand les poules auront des dents
Re-translation: When hens have teeth

English: I have other fish to fry
French: J'ai d'autres chats à fouetter
Re-translation: I have other cats to whip

English: Look before you leap
Spanish: Antes de que te cases, mira lo que haces
Re-translation: Before you get married, look at what you're doing

English: I'm very happy
French: J'ai la banane
Re-translation: I have the banana

English: It's nothing to write home about
French: Ça ne casse pas trois pattes à un canard
Re-translation: That doesn't break three paws to a duck

English: To call a spade a spade
French: Appeler un chat un chat
Re-translation: To call a cat a cat

English: It's raining cats and dogs
French: Il pleut des cordes
Re-translation: It's raining ropes

English: Good luck
Italian: In bocca al lupo
Re-translation: Into the wolf's mouth

English: Curiosity killed the cat
Italian: Tanto va la gatta al lardo che ci lascia lo zampino
Re-translation: The cat loses his paw trying to get the bacon

English: To kill two birds with one stone
Italian: Prendere due piccioni con una fava
Re-translation: To take two pigeons with one bean

English: Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours
Spanish: Dando y dando, pajarito volando
Re-translation: Giving and giving, the bird is flying

No comments:

Post a Comment